How Instagram is Changing The Role of Fashion Bloggers at NYFW
Join radio host and journalist Jacqueline Jax as she breaks down the role of the fashion blogger in today’s high pace industry and how instagram has threatened their existence. Learn how they are struggling to improve their content and adapting to the new fashion internet landscape. The question is… Will instagram crush the fashion blogs of tomorrow?
Listen in Now:
If you remember back in the mid-2000s, when fashion bloggers were changing the reporting landscape with live coverage from huge events like NYFW (New York Fashion Week) and of coarse the shows in London and Paris. Even street style had evolved into a pre-event fashion show as models and style icons took to the pavement lobbying for the attention of photographers and fashion bloggers actively clicking away. The pictures were then downloaded within hours of the shows with anxiously awaited commentary from a young new breed of fashion Glamorai directly to millions of consumers hungry for the latest insider information.
As fashion week takes the reigns today, a new stream of content is taking the for front on the internet content horizon. It’s called instagram and it’s pushing out on the spot, at the moment pics from the front row and back stage of every show, fashion house and street catwalk. Bloggers are taking to this unedited quick stream to stay in the new techno movement and keep their followers current. This is a case where you have to be in it to win it. Where we depended on our blog Feeds to keep us updated on runway couture, celebrity style and insider info, Instagram has flattened the playing field with one simple hashtag. #NYFW.
It has surely taken the wind out of the gigantic sails of the most noted bloggers that have rained supreme since as early at 2008 and forced them to blend their content into one stream under the control of one little app that doesn’t even allow them to link a clickable blog page address.
Now, every influencer in fashion uses the medium for instant access to any show, place or street at any given moment. You can see everything and anything you can imagine all from one place.
So what are the draw backs? And how will the fashion bloggers survive?
To me it’s all in plain view. What we loved about tuning into our favorite fashion voices will remain the same. Although an instant scroll through the latest will definitely be a priority, it won’t replace a great cup of coffee while I read a witty commentary from some of my personal favorites. And the largest drawback that I’m seeing is unedited content, meaning the stream is cluttered with photos from anyone who learns to type the hashtag #NYFW from their home computer.
What I do see is a terrific opportunity for diversity. New designers will be able to post instagram showings of their latest lines into this amazing fashion content stream in hopes of discovering a new following among a targeted audience.
Fashion bloggers will survive by finding their niche and therefore their audience and everything will be right within the fashion world as we find a way to adapt and evolve together. Just as we always do.
In conclusion to my thoughts for today, I think there will always be a need for fashion bloggers simply because there will always been a curiosity and appetite for edited style. How a blogger demonstrates their style and on which ever platform they do it, remains to be seen as our internet landscape is constantly in motion but either way I know one thing for sure the strongest players will always adapt and find a way to express themselves.
LINKS TO LOVE:
– www.JaxCouture.com– bringing you a fresh perspective on fashion news, culture and lifestyle topics including Weekly wardrobe inspiration and more in depth coverage pieces from the Jax Report.
– www.BlondiBeach.com – is a Lifestyle blog dedicated to elevating the everyday life through travel, dining, health, diet, fitness, fashion style and beauty. Blogger and fashion designer for www.Blondibeachwear.com
– www.jackiesboutique.com Jacqueline Jax captures the hearts of thousands with her winsome charm and luxurious resort lifestyle. Jacqueline’s consistently updated and alluringly photographed coastal looks and style ideas make this fashion and lifestyle blog a must subscribe for any woman.
– www.JacquelineJax.com – keep up to date on the latest going on behind the scenes of our host with her #DayintheLifeBlog.
Things I use:
1) Canon EOS 50D DSLR Camera (Shop Body Only) $1620
15.1-megapixel CMOS sensor with improved noise reduction
Body only; lenses sold separately
Enhanced Live View shooting includes Face Detection Live mode
New Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction setting; HDMI output
Capture images to Compact Flash Type I or II memory cards (found here)
2) Canon Zoom lens – 28 mm – 135 mm – F/3.5-5.6 – Canon EF (Compare prices)
3) Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens + Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens ($485 Save 35% here)
4) Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens ($999 save $200 of retail shop here)
5) Apple iPod touch 32GB Space Gray (5th Generation) (shop now $247)
6) Pandamimi ULAK(TM) Hybrid 3 Layer Hard Case Cover with Silicone Shell Inside Case for Apple iPod Touch Generation 5 + Stylus + Screen Protector ($7.99 find here)
9) iPad Air Case, JETech® Gold Serial iPad Air Slim-Fit Smart Case Cover for Apple iPad Air iPad 5 with Auto Sleep/Wake Feature (iPad Air, Red) ($8.99 found here)
10) Professional 72-inch TRIPOD FOR All Canon Sony, Nikon, Samsung, Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, Fuji, Cameras And Camcorders + BP MicroFiber Cleaning Cloth ($29.95 +free shipping found here)
11) Chromo Inc.® 216 LED CI-216 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera / Camcorder Video Light ($36.95 + free shipping found here)
12) Makayama Movie Mount for iPad Air ($69.95 includes lens found here)
13) iRig Mic by Ik Multimedia ($60 found here)
14) IK Multimedia iKlip Stand Adjustable Desktop Riser Stand for iPad ($53 found here)
Fun APPS and editing programs
1)IMovie for Mac https://www.apple.com/mac/imovie/
2) Magisto – Magic Video Editor (free found here)
3)Pic Collage App (Free found here)
4)Pho.to Lab – add funny effects, filters, frames and custom text to your photos (Free here)
5) Instagram: (Free here)